Are you talking cloudstack VMS or your own?  If a vm is 'created' it is
ephemeral, the definition will disappear when stopped. This is what
cloudstack does so that a KVM host that crashes or loses power won't
remember and try to start VMS that were previously on it (they are likely
running elsewhere now). However, for your desktop and your own VMS you
usually 'define' VMS, which saves the XML to a file and leaves them
persistent. I use vmm occasionally, but usually virsh, the CLI version.
Both just talk to libvirt.