Sounds like your disk definition is not using virtio-block. In this case
you wouldnt be able to hot attach either though. Can you paste the diskdef
XML? This would normally only happen if you used a template defined with an
older OS, like the default centos 5.5 or "other Linux" instead of "other
Linux PV". In those cases I think it emulates IDE, which can't be
hotswapped.