I have some (limited) experience, it seems the fs[1] refered in this
thread is good enough if you need to expose data. How much of this is
being implemented at the moment?

I suppose you need to design a way for leveraging data from
components, do you? i.e. the monitoriing service from Chiradeeps
picture[2]

Daan

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/FS+for+Integrating+CS+alerts+via+SNMP+to+external+management+system