From: Sebastien Goasguen [mailto:run...@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 January 2014 19:53
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org; Brian Federle
Cc: Jessica Wang; Sonny Chhen
Subject: Re: UI blocker

On Jan 17, 2014, at 1:41 PM, Brian Federle <brian.fede...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but cosmetic issues are not blockers :) It would only be a blockers if
> the functionality were NOT usable in any shape or form, for both testing and
> end use.

I disagree, cosmetics i.e look and feel of a new major revision of a software
are as important as critical backend features. Because users will look at it,
managers, execs...etc, it will be displayed in demos, printed on booths
etc....anything that does not look top notch reflects badly on the project and
the software.

> i.e. -- if the fields were completely missing or garbled in some way, I would
> agree that we can classify the bug as blocking release. Looking 'ugly', no --
> I implemented the scrollbars because most times API keys, etc. are usually
> very long strings, causing overflow on some browsers and in most usability
> cases people are mainly needing to just copy/paste the values into other
> fields. It's not the most elegant solution I understand, but this is also a
> small facet of the whole UI experience.

Attention to details is important. Personally the new UI is distracting to me,
the variation in fonts/font sizes is distracting instead of putting emphasis
and focus. There are other things, like 'ovm' still showing up in the add
cluster drop down when OVM is not supported in CloudStack, but you are right
it's a detail who cares.

> I am going to ask everyone to PLEASE respect this when determining priority
> on UI bugs -- I know things like this are somewhat ugly, but there are only a
> small handful of full-time UI developers working on CloudStack and it makes
> our lives harder if everyone is marking trivial stuff as show-stoppers.

This is great, so it can look like crap, as long as it works we release on the
first iteration of a major revision. In any case you can remove this as a
blocker, it seems I am in minority here, at least I got you to respond on the
list and share your thoughts on the subject. As a parting thought though, I
don't think that 'everyone is making trivial stuff as show-stoppers', I did not
hear many UI blocker bugs lately

> At any rate, if you still think this is a blocker, you can feel free to look
> into it yourself, in which case write a review request and I'll take a look
> at it.

> -Brian

Our CloudStack Infrastructure
Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the
best 24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
08/09 January 2014, London<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
13-17 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led,
On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
20-24 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led,
On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape
Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.