Actually, does anyone have objections to adding an agent.properties
tunable to disable balloon? That would allow anyone who wants to
overcommit to do so, without messing with the existing FS, and the
calculations for allocation at least are all accurate. And I won't
have to maintain another local patch.

 I just can't give someone a 4G VM and have it only show 2-1G inside,
just like I wouldn't give someone a 1T thin-provisioned disk and only
show them 100G. I know KSM will give me X memory dedup for my
workload, and I'd prefer to straight up over allocate VMs to the
guests based on that.   Balloon just doesn't work anyway for most,
only if the customers are internal and agree not to meddle with it. I
think that goes for all hypervisors.