OK, the systemvm status is making more sense now.

For everybody just as confused as me by the current discussion let me try to
summarize.

SystemVM template build process:
  Currently there is a build process for the systemvm template in the
CloudStack source code. This build process is using veewee and virtual box and
is started by running the command build.sh located in the tools/appliance
directory. (parameter systemvmtemplate builds the 32bits template and command
systemvm64template builds the 64bit image). This build is periodically executed
by jenkins.buildacloud.org for each branch, so that is the authoritative source
to get the latest version of the systemvm templates (both 32 and 64 bit).
  However due to incompatibilities between vmware OVA import and the virtual
box OVA export there is manual workaround to make the vmware template work (see
CLOUDSTACK-4864 and the wiki page at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Build+Your+Own+SystemVM+Templates).
 There is a fix for this (CLOUDSTACK-5883) that makes the automagically build
template usable with VMware, this is confirmed to work with vSphere 5.1 for the
32bit template, but Sateesh reports there still are issues with the 64bit
template. I’ve reopened the ticket 5883 to track this, but moved the priority
from Blocker to Major as we have a workaround in a manual procedure.

SystemVM template release process:
  The systemvm template is generated using scripts in the source code and as
part of the procedure parts of the CloudStack sources are copied onto the
systemvm template when it is generated. The systemvm template is also an
integral part of a release of CloudStack as CloudStack will not work as
advertised if we do not make the systemvm template available to our users.
  When a release is created a particular state of the source tree is fixed an a
release artifact is put up for vote. However in the current process part of the
release (the systemvm template) contains source code that might not be the same
as the artifact that is supplied in the vote. The main reason for this is that
the process of releasing the systemvm template is different from releasing the
source code for CloudStack. The system vm template is released in advance to
cloud.com and the process to trigger this is not completely clear to the
community yet.
  Combine this with the need for manual steps in the build process of the
template and we have a situation where it is not transparent to the community
what exact is in the released systemvm template at any given time.

Current status of the systemvm:
  The systemvm uploaded to cloud.com works with the current release under vote
and workaround have been manually applied to ensure correct operation with
VMware.
  The current date field in the download URL of the systemvm template is
confusing, but everyone agrees that there have been no changes to the relevant
parts of the source code between the moment the current version of the
systemvm-template on cloud.com was created and the source code in current
release artifact.

Recommedations/proposal for a next release (4.3.1 or 4.4):
  Fix remaining issues in CLOUDSTACK-5883 so we have a fully automated build of
the systemvm without manual steps.
  With the next release generate a systemvm using the release artifact and
upload that one to cloud.com for testing.
  Master and release branches should be switched to use a download url that
points to the latest successful build of the systemvm template for that branch
to make sure all developments and tests are done using the latest sources
available.

With this i’m rescinding my -1 vote on this release candidate.

Cheers,

Hugo