I see. My confusion lies in the fact that this commit is associated with
https://reviews.apache.org/r/21908/, which is not the right fix, but the
commit does not contain the review patch provided.

In fact, we *really* don't want to apply review 21908 now that we've
applied other fixes, as it is functionally incompatible with some of the
other commits, but these commits should be ok.