On 06/08/2014 06:23 PM, Dave Scott wrote:
Hi,

Following on from the earlier "[PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor”,
I’ve added a design doc to the wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Allow+hosts+running+the+Xen+hypervisor+to+be+managed+via+libvirt

This design would allow people who want to manage their hypervisors purely
through the libvirt tools to choose the Xen hypervisor.

 From the code point of view, I want to maximise sharing between the KVM and
Xen code paths, partly to make QA easier and partly to maximise the chance that
adding a feature for “Xen” causes it to work for “KVM” and vice-versa. In
particular this means that, if a genuinely-useful capability is currently
missing from the libvirt libxl driver, I want to implement it rather than work
around it.

Seems like a great route to me! You also want to support Xen+Qemu with this way?

We have to be aware that there might be some storage differences between KVM and Xen like Ceph which is not fully supported yet by Xen.

If anything is missing in libvirt or the Java bindings we have to fix that indeed instead of hacking around it.

Wido

Comments appreciated!

Cheers,
Dave