Hey,

I’m all for automated solutions. I’m a happy gerrit user on some other projects
and quite fond of working with Github pull requests as well. However there is
one important point that makes working with those tools work and that is a
willingness by the committers to review requests. Both systems rely on either a
well functioning and fast CI system or committers that consistently and rapidly
review requests. Where the latter is actually the most important one.

Both gerrit and pull requests do not improve quality. They are just tools to
facilitate a certain way of working. If we want to improve quality we have to
do it ourselves, no amount of automated tooling is going to solve it for us. As
committers it is our job to review commits and make sure that quality is
maintained. It is also our job to make sure that automated tests exist that
will catch problems.

At the moment we have a 433,412 line codebase with on average 3.91 potential
defects per line of code (according to coverity). We have a very small amount
of unit test coverage on our core code and no real idea how much or what code
is covered by functional testing. If we want to improve quality i think that is
the place to start.

Of course it is also wise to see if we can improve the quality of the incoming
commits, but that is easily done by taking a few moments during the day to
review everything that was pushed to master and fix, revert and add unit tests
where required. Coach committers/contributors that consistently have trouble
with adding testing cases on how to do it. That part is the responsibility of
being a committer, not just the bit that allows access to the repo.

If we are able to get this bit going, i’ll happily jump on any barricade and
start a revolution to get whatever automated tooling we need to support this
process.

Cheers,

Hugo