Hi Daan,

We've a page on Git [1] and recommended workflow for committers and
non-committers, should we update the workflow we want for committers
there and start a separate vote thread?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git

Regards.

Daan Hoogland wrote:
Let me explain a little more about this lat mail of mine.
I was assuming a lot of context that most people may not have.
We want to start working differently with respect to our release
procedure and branching habits. The proposals that are out there and
about to be voted for are going to require a lot of work of a few
people and a lot of discipline from all of us.

My idea was to first vote for some of the habits that are part of the
gitflow discipline, but I am not strong opinionated about that.

I do want to prevent that we go for a grand proposal to completely
change our way of moving forward (not just the way we move forward)
while there are potentially people opposing to this way of working.

So please give a +1/0/-1 to the general idea now, so we fell
comfortable spending the time in devising a new release
schedule/mechanism.

some of the highlights are:

it will start with 4.5 (4.4.x will be done with the old manual
cherry-pick process)
it will require everybody to create a branch for every fix or feature
they will contribute.
it will require devs to work mainly on a new branch call 'develop'
it will be every bodies responsibility to ensure that 'master' is at
all times releasable

thanks,
Daan