Rayees,

I think you have the same misunderstanding as a lot of other folks
(including myself) had in the beginning - seeing develop branch as a trunk
branch that gets merged into master on a regular basis after the BVT/CI
tests pass. So the master branch reflects the develop branch minus changes
that didn¹t pass the tests and weren¹t merged into master -  lets refer to
it as implementation #1

That¹s not what git workflow/this thread proposes. In git workflow master
branch reflects the latest stable release instead. So for example, we
released 4.4, and that what you would see the master to be as we merge the
*release branch to master, not the *develop to master. And develop branch
becomes the trunk branch where all the new fixes go to. I would look at
the master as at the stable branch, where you can track the history for
all the major releases as for each of them the master branch has
corresponding tags - lets call it implementation #2

I still don¹t see many advantages in implementation #2 - making the master
build stable by simply making it reflect the latest release branch.
Because you:

* never cut the release from master branch
* if you are the customer, and need the latest stable code, you download
the official RPM
* if you are a developer, you always want to download the latest code, and
that comes from *develop branch
* if you want to look at the latest stable release, you look at the
release branch as per CS git workflow implementation we never remove the
release branches (they are needed for maintenance releases)

It would be great if anyone can point the advantages of #2 approach over
#1, as to me #1 seems to be the approach most people will find more
intuitive and its used a lot in the field.

-Alena.