Hi Marcus,

Apologies for taking so much time to reply to your email, but was, and still
am, quite busy. :)

I would only use reflection if that was the only way to do it. The use of
reflection usually makes the code more complex, which is not good when we have
java developers in all different levels (from jr. do sr) working with
cloudstack. It also makes us lose the type safety, which might also harm the
exception handling if not done well. In addition, if we need to refactor
something, the IDE is no longer going to do few things because the refection
code cannot be found.

If someone will need to extend the LibvirtComputingResource that would be no
problem with the approach I’m using. The CitrixResourceBase also has quite few
sub-classes and it works just fine.

I will document on the wiki page how it should be done when sub-classing the
LibvirtComputingResource class.

In a quick note/snippet, one would do:

public class EkhoComputingResource extends LibvirtComputingResource {

       @Override
    public Answer executeRequest(final Command cmd) {

        final LibvirtRequestWrapper wrapper =
LibvirtRequestWrapper.getInstance();
        try {
            return wrapper.execute(cmd, this);
        } catch (final Exception e) {
            return Answer.createUnsupportedCommandAnswer(cmd);
        }
    }
}

In the flyweight where I keep the wrapper we could have ():

        final Hashtable<Class<? extends Command>, CommandWrapper>
linbvirtCommands = new Hashtable<Class<? extends Command>, CommandWrapper>();
        linbvirtCommands.put(StopCommand.class, new
LibvirtStopCommandWrapper());

        final Hashtable<Class<? extends Command>, CommandWrapper> ekhoCommands
= new Hashtable<Class<? extends Command>, CommandWrapper>();
        linbvirtCommands.put(StopCommand.class, new EkhoStopCommandWrapper());

        resources.put(LibvirtComputingResource.class, linbvirtCommands);
        resources.put(EkhoComputingResource.class, ekhoCommands);

But that is needed only if the StopCommand has a different behaviour for the
EkhoComputingResource.

Once a better version of the documentation is on the wiki, I will let you know.

On other matters, I’m also adding unit tests for all the changes. We already
went from 4% to 13.6% coverage in the KVM hypervisor plugin. The code I already
refactored has 56% of coverage.

You can see all the commits here:
https://github.com/schubergphilis/cloudstack/tree/refactor/libvirt_resource

Cheers,