Hi all,

I tested upgrading XS 6.2 from 4.4.2 to 4.5.1 to try to reproduce and test the
issue Geoff reported.

The issue Geoff found had to do with systemvmtemplate's requireshvm flag. When
we register template for the next ACS version we want to upgrade, if done from
UI would add requireshvm=true that sets the hvm flag to 1 (in the vm_instance
table, as vms start). If the host is not HVM capable, which in case of Geoff
was VirtualBox, systemvm will fail to start/deploy (due to no host found that
is HVM).

When we pre-seed systemvmtemplate on secondary storage the HVM tag is set to 0
(false), so it breaks the convention to set it to 1 when registering/upgrading
systemvm template. The fix for this is to register the next sytemvm template
(systemvm-xenserver-4.5) using something like cloudmonkey will hvm set to false
for ACS 4.4.x or below. This UI issue has been fixed in ACS 4.5 so users can
deselect the HVM option.

I’ve asked Geoff to test and post his voting on a fresh environment, possibly
using VMWare fusion (if doing on laptop) as VBox does not support vmx/amd-v.

Hope this helps and hoping 4.5.1 will be solid.

> On 06-May-2015, at 2:38 pm, Wilder Rodrigues <wrodrig...@schubergphilis.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the heads-up, Geoff.
>
> I will start testing an upgrade scenario now.
>
> Cheers,
> Wilder
>
>> On 06 May 2015, at 14:28, Geoff Higginbottom
>> <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>> For all those of you have voted +1 based on a clean install, if possible
>> please test upgrade scenarios including deploying new Isolated networks and
>> new VPCs as I have performed three upgrades and all pass the initial
>> upgrade, but then fail to add new VRs or new SSVM/CPVMs post upgrade etc
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Geoff Higginbottom
>>
>> D: +44 20 3603 0542 | S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447968161581
>>
>> geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue