CC'd security@ ...

Yeah, we definitely want to involve as many people as we can from the
original change. Cookies and javascript variables are very different
things, cookies are available across tabs/windows (hence why the change
breaks auto-login via opening a new tab) and persist beyond the life of the
page load. Variables are not available across windows, and when you refresh
it's gone, unless you store it in a cookie or use the HTML5 local storage
API.

I think it's safe to say that, objectively speaking, putting something in a
JS variable is more secure than a cookie, but the real question is why
cookies weren't deemed "secure enough", and I have a hunch that there's a
specific answer to that which we'd want to find out before doing anything.
It looks like Min Chen and Rohit were involved in changing this code,
though I can't seem to tie it back to a specific CLOUDSTACK bug. I see
references to CS-18149 and CS-19734, but I don't know what those are and
the details on the commits are sparse.