+1 for this
----- Original Message -----

From: "Logan Barfield" <lbarfi...@tqhosting.com>
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, 28 May, 2015 3:48:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Feature] Cloudstack KVM with RBD

Hi Star,

I'll +1 this. I would like to see support for RBD snapshots as well,
and maybe have a method to "backup" the snapshots to secondary
storage. Right now for large volumes it can take an hour or more to
finish the snapshot.

I have already discussed this with Wido, and was able to determine
that even without using native RBD snapshots we could improve the copy
time by saving the snaps as thin volumes instead of full raw files.
Right now the snapshot code when using RBD specifically converts the
volumes to a full raw file, when saving as a qcow2 image would use
less space. When restoring a snapshot the code current specifically
indicates the source image as being a raw file, but if we change the
code to not indicate the source image type qemu-img should
automatically detect it. We just need to see if that's the case with
all of the supported versions of libvirt/qemu before submitting a pull
request.

Thank You,

Logan Barfield
Tranquil Hosting