I think I share you view on the 'Ideal world'. Backup (via Volume
Snapshots) is a huge bottleneck in Cloudstack. This is amplified especially
when you have a object storage as your secondary storage because it
requires two copies (one to an NFS staging area and from there to object
storage). And not to mention that all these copies are consuming hypervisor
resources. Xenserver's Dom0 is also a huge bottleneck as all the Network
and I/O flow through it. So our intention of proposing the "Storage
Snapshots" is to give a better way of achiving snapshots while still
keeping the original definition of volume snpashots (ie upload to sec
storage).

But as Erik pointed out volume snapshots are not backups. They don't work
form multi-disk LVM volume groups and dynamic disks. I am all in for a
better backup solution which handles these use cases and utilizes the
storage's advanced features.