On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:42 PM, John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> As I am sure many have observed, we have a large number of committers [1]
> who are no longer active.  Currently, we no status that continues to
> recognize someone’s committer merit while allowing them to declare inactive
> in the project.  To address this gap, I am proposed amending our project
> bylaws [2] as follows:

+1 to introduce emeritus status

> 2.3.4  A committer is considered "emeritus" by sending their declaration
> to priv...@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:priv...@cloudstack.apache.org>.
>   An emeritus committer may return to "active" status by sending their
> declaration to priv...@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:
> priv...@cloudstack.apache.org>.
>   No vote is required for a committer change from “emeritus" to “active"
> status.

What exactly does going emeritus mean?

Removal of commit bit/access on the account? Disabling/removal of account?
I am -1 for the latter, as people might have used their apache.org email
address elsewhere or might be committers elsewhere disallowing us from
doing this, but I can be +1 for removing karma/commit bit.

> 2.3.5 "Active committters" are all non-emeritus committers.
>
> These clauses were inspired by the Apache Cocoon [3] bylaws [4].  To be
> clear, a committer never loses their merit, and only a committer can decide
> to go emeritus.  Since merit is never lost, a emeritus committer may return
> to active status at anytime by simply informing the PMC of their intention
> to be active again.  No one can require that committer change to emeritus
> status.
>
> On the website, we would place emeritus committers in a separate section —
> allowing users to more easily identify those that are actively
> participating in the project.

I am not sure how we keep this updated in an automated way. If we remove
emeritus members from the LDAP group, we have a way to fetch active ones,
but no way to fetch inactive/emeritus.

Haven't asked infra, but perhaps it could be possible to add an emeritus
ldap group or something like that

--
Erik