Hi Paul,

My 2 cents on the topic.

people are commenting on issues when it should by the PR and vice-versa

I think this is simply due to the fact that with one login you can do both,
versus before you had to have a JIRA login which people might have tried to
avoid, preferring using github directly, ensuring the conversation will
only be on the PR. Most of the issues in Jira didn't have any conversation
at all.

But I do feel also the pain of searching the issues on github as it's more
free-hand than a jira system. At the same time it's easier and quicker to
navigate, so it ease the pain at the same time ;-)
I would say that the current labels isn't well organized to be able to
search like in jira but it could. For example any label has a prefix
describing the jira attribute type (component, version, ...) Then a bot
scanning the issue content could set some of them as other open source
project are doing. The bad thing here is that you might end up with too
many labels. Maybe @resmo can give his point of view on how things are
managed in Ansible (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pulls - lots of
labels, lots of issues and PRs). I don't know if that's a solution but
labels seem the only way to organize things.

Marc-Aurèle