According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

CentOS 6 EOL is 2020
CentOS 7 EOL is 2024

+1 for removing support for CentOS 6.

As Erik pointed out the sites running CentOS6 will have to move soon in any event and it is probably better to do it now when there is still a lot of current expertise and information available about how to do it and how to make any changes to applications.

Upgrading in a project that is under your control is usually easier than one forced on you by a security issue or an operational failure.

Ron