Vadim Gritsenko wrote, On 28/08/2003 14.00:

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
<snip/>

*IMPORTANT* (and the reason why I started the RT):
So in he CLI, instead of asking for the link view and then generate, I simply ask Cocoon to insert a transformer that gathers links in the same positions where the links view would.

This would make it possible for the CLI to have the configurability of the view gatherer but the speed of the transfomer gatherer.

Links view is not a transformer. It's a view, meaning that it can have actions, matchers, selectors, transformers, and should end with text serializer. So, you cannot simply add one transformer and think that you are done with links view.

When I say Transformer here I mean Virtual Transformer, that can be all you say above, as I suggest in the RT. This also means that this virtual Transformer can also do the link exclusion and other things that are needed and that a simple transformer cannot do.

In addition to this, adding a transformer would not work because this alters pipeline cache key which prevents such legitimate CLI usages as pre-populating persistent cache.

I do not see the case in which this happens. Could you explain more please?

Solution to the CLI problem was already found (attach links view as a tee to main pipeline, see "Link View Goodness" on approx 2003/07/01)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105708533500966&w=2

and Upayavira is looking into ways of implementing it. I would help him out but right now I can't.

I know, but doing it as I say is conceptually equivalent to attaching links tee to main pipeline, so it's an alternative way, but that has extra features.

Conceptually

  generator
  >inserted gatherer vt<  --- (links hashmap)
  serializer

What propose

  generator
  >inserted tee -> view -> parser<  --- (links hashmap)
  serializer

Which is basically the same, only that I use a virtual transformer and you use a view. Make the view call the same virtual transformer, and the results are the same only that my proposal is more generic.

Oh well, whatever, as long as it works...

            - verba volant, scripta manent -