So my eye finally caught on the "Starting 2.2" thread today, it seemed
interesting, and I went to read through this... and I must say the main
reaction I ended up having to it is "HUH?!?". :)

Is the reason you need a new repository because CVS doesn't support
move/copy/rename (especially so on directories?). I guess I've just been
using Subversion so long that some of the solutions people have been
proposing sound rather terrifying... making a new repository and copying all
of the RCS files into it in order to "preserve history"? But then you'd
still be maintaining the files in both versions seperately with no computer
way to know "this file is a copy of that one" to try to help you do that.
Then there was the suggestion to have the new repository copy stuff from the
2.1 repository during build or something...

With Subversion you could just copy the current trunk off to a cocoon-2.1
branch (as you'd likely be doing many less fixes on that over the future
than enhancements to 2.2, so that would be considered the branch) and then
start reorganizing the directories in the trunk by just moving them around
and committing the move operations (so far with no space duplication on the
server as all of these copy/move operations are just references to the same
file data in the repository), files that need to be renamed could easily be
done so, and this entire process would be keeping track of the history
through all of the move operations... (although merging the 2.1 branch
changes into 2.2 still wouldn't be entirely automated, but I'm pretty sure
the Subversion people are working on this; 0.28.0, released a few days ago,
has some features that is bringing it a lot closer).

Has any thought been put into "the next time we have to create another new
repository should be the day we look into better version control"?

Sincerely,
Jay Freeman (saurik)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]