IIRC from the ever and ever happening discussion about the best
logging toolkit is that Log4j breaks inversion of control (IOC):

class A
{
  static Category cat =
      Category.getInstance(A.class.getName());
}

class B
{
  static Category cat =
      Category.getInstance("A");
}

You see what I mean! Log4J is based on conventions for the logging
category which each class defines by itself whereas Logkit is based of
IOC and a class dosn't define it's own logger. This for me makes logkit
much more secure for server side applications.

Also, you should take a look into the org.apache.log.output package to
see that logkit supports all you'd like your output to be sent to.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Pati