Timothy Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I added the proposal to the wiki here:
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ProductionInstallProposal

I won't edit that file but I would like to add here my suggestion
about cocoon-2.1 build system, in general. I try to contribute to
Cocoon project as much as I can and I hope my 2 cents will help
you improve that great product Coocoon is.

According to my expirence some issues make building uncomfortable.
These issues are:

1. customconf property doesn't work properly at my linuxbox :(
   I have some .xweb, .xconf and .xmap files in 'myconf'
   directory but they are not seen by buildtools when
   'myconf' is outside cocoon source directory.

   customconf=../myconf <- doesn't work.
   after moving it into cocoonsrc dir ($ mv ../myconf .)
   and changing customconf in local.build.properties to:
   customconf=myconf
   everything works fine.

   Of course file permis and modes are ok. Is this a bug?

2. The second issue that is annoying for me is that
   the distribution build.sh is so little parametrized.
   There should be a possibility for invoking build.sh with
   local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties as
   parameters ($2, $3), for example:

   .build.sh webapp ../myconf/mywebapp.build.properties \
                    ../myconf/mywebapp.blocks.properties

   I think this is a must.

3. Next issue is prepare-webapp target.
   Lets say I have some 'initial' dirs and files in ../mywebapp:

   ../mywebapp/content/
   ../mywebapp/content/welcome.xml

   ../mywebapp/logic/

   ../mywebapp/style/
   ../mywebapp/style/images/
   ../mywebapp/style/javascripts/
   ../mywebapp/style/javascripts/system/
   ../mywebapp/style/javascripts/system/error.js
   ../mywebapp/style/stylesheets/
   ../mywebapp/style/stylesheets/welcome.xsl
   ../mywebapp/style/stylesheets/system/
   ../mywebapp/style/stylesheets/system/error.xsl

   ../mywebapp/WEB-INF/
   ../mywebapp/WEB-INF/.. <-- here the same files as in
                              src/webapp/WEB-INF
                              but this is not the way
                              I'd like

   Of course I do default pipelines substitute
   by xpatch at ../myconf/pipelines.xmap:

   <xmap xpath="/sitemap"
     remove="/sitemap/pipelines"
     if-prop="config.pipelines">
     <map:pipelines>
       <!-- ... mypipelines here ... -->
     </map:pipelines>
   <xmap>

   webapp property of local.build.properties seemed
   promising at first, but then I realized that
   webapp-build.xml copies only specific files
   and directories that are in distribution (file
   per file). So I can't change the layout of my
   brand new built webapp :(

   I think prepare-webapp target should copy
   to build.webapp dir:

   1) only WEB-INF/ from src/webapp
   2) probably also samples from src/webapp
      (if exclude.webapp.samples not true)
   3) and then copy whole directory set by
      'webapp' property (../mywebapp)
      - overwriting .xfiles if any i mywebapp,
      - combining ../mywebapp/WEB-INF/classes
        with build/webapp/WEB-INF/classes
      - combining ../mywebapp/samples with
        samples etc..

   This just my idea.

4. I really don't understand why
   src/blocks/databases/conf/datasources.xconf
   is in databases block, not in hsqldb block.
   If that node is to be an example for database
   usage - it should be a) commented out and probably
   b) configured to example a more common database
   (propably these one's that that drivers are included
   by local.build.properties)

   <datasources>
     <!--
     <jdbc name="postgres">
       <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>
       <auto-commit>true</auto-commit>

<dburl>jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/test?charSet=UTF-8</dburl>
       <user></user>
       <password></password>
     </jdbc>
     -->
   </datasources>

5. src/blocks/databases/conf lacks still popular mysql.Driver.xweb.
   I know PostgreSQL is much better, but...

Going back to production build setup - I generally agree with
ProductionInstallProposal that are at wiki right now, but
I have some additional remarks:

a) WHEN any of include.driver.* is set to true, corresponding
   commented out datasource included by databases/conf/datasources.xconf
   SHOULD BE uncommented then

b) shouldn't be config.enable-uploads set to true?

If 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and a) where implemented - the build system
would be just ideal for me :)

--
Tomasz Nowak
  Netventure, http://www.netventure.pl/