Hi Alfred

Alfred Fuchs wrote:

>  > Conal Tuohy wrote:
>  >
>  > [...] Alternatively, if it really is necessary to call back
> > another pipeline, what about using a generic transformer like the
> > XIncludeTransformer?
>
> I will explain, what I want to do:
>
> (1) I have a website with a topic "actual".
> people should be able to upload HTML or (docbook)XML files
> to this directory.
> I want scan this directory and generate a overview of the files
> with a description exctracted from the titles.
> solutions:
> - XPathDirectoryGenerator? but the HTML files?
> -
> DirectoryGenerator->CInclude-transformer->WriteTransformer->
> ...->HTMLGenerator->....

You could use DirectoryGenerator, transform the result into include
statements that use the cocoon: protocol to refer back to your
mime-type-specific pipelines (which return the file descriptions), then use
the IncludeTransformer to import these descriptions. So the
CIncludeTransformer for instance can call your pipelines, rather than the
generator doing so.

<snip/>

> but at this stage a thought:
> I have a pipeline for this file type (depends on the name)
> and a pipeline for that file type.
>
> why not extend the mechanism of <map:aggregate> and
> give a FileInfoDirectoryGenerator a prefix for a pipeline or resource,
> that is calld on every found file.

Yes I see your point. Maybe I've missed something, but I just wondered why
this facility should be built into the generator - rather than performed as
a subsequent step using an inclusion transformer.