Just a note to let you know that there are a number of threads currently running over on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] concerning the establishment of a component repository project. After reading your email I think that many of the subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things the Avalon crew are currently debating.

Cheers, Steve.

Edison Too wrote:

Hi,

I agree with Stefano's observation that there is a need for a good content repository. I've looked into Slide's code before and I can't help but wonder if it is a good idea for Slide to be implemented using Avalon.

The server core can be broken down into 3 blocks
1. Content repository (store?)
2. User management
3. Access Control management
These are very useful/essential component which are (AFAIK) strangely missing in the
current crop of Avalon Components/Services.

Advantage of migrating :
1. Reuse of Avalon components such as configuration/connections/pooling/logging etc.
2. Deployable as a standalone or servlet using Fortress or Phoenix.
3. If a Cache block comes along (from Cocoon maybe?) it can be reused in Slide to
improve performance.
4. Attract more developers from the land of Avalon or Cocoon.
I think it will open up a lot of possibilities. Think of it, with James, Slide,
Cocoon, interesting server apps can be built.

I know it's not easy to switch and most developers dread such a big change especially when r2.0 is in view. This is just a thought I feel worth discussing, especially when Stefano says he will investing his time into Slide.

I'm not an expert with Avalon, but I'm willing to invest some time if this the direction Slide decide to pursue.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Edison Too