Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
Stefano Mazzocchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On 1 Jan 2004, at 23:25, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

Upayavira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

Any idea if it would be possible to devise a way to alter

the target

frame for a response in the flow? In particular, we have

some search

screens that show their results in different frame. If a

request fails

validation I'd like it to return to the original frame and

not show the

results in the other frame. So, in this case I'd just like

to remove

the target frame if the request fails validation.

Peter Hunsberger

I might be wrong, but I think your thinking is wrong here.

You cannot control (from in flow) the frame that a page is

presented

in, because the browser does a request for a specific frame, and that's where the result will be shown.

To achieve what you want, you'd have to do it with some

client side

javascript. Send back a response including some javascript

that makes

the browser reload the other frame.

Hope this makes sense.

Yah, that makes sense, probably a little too much "grog"

last night to

be thinking straight... I was hoping there might be some header or other http level setting that the browser would use to

determine what

the target frame was for.

Nop, there is no such thing. This is yet another of the two thousand reasons on why you should never be using frames but you should be doing server side aggreation (where you *do* have full control on what

That's a bit of a pain in this particular case, not impossible, but a
lot more work than just setting up the frame and calling an existing
page.  It's probably pretty easy to detect the error in this case and
display just the error message in the second frame and that will work
ok, not quite as pretty, but that's what you get for being lazy...

Another approach which we´ve found quite useful is to use an iframe in a div with visibility set to hidden. A clientside javascript alters the src-attribute for the iframe which causes it to reload.
In the result from the webserver we use the onload event to call a callback-function which copies the content from the hidden div to the visible output when to frame loads.
This may not be applicable in your case but it´s another way of using frames. The application uses more logic on the clientside so it´s not for evenyone.

An introduction to inner-browsing from DevEdge:
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/inner-browsing/

/Mats