Alan wrote:

What do you mean by strongly typed? Are we discussiong form posts
  here?

Yes, form posts being the use case at hand, but there are other ways input may be provided. Quoting Daniel:

Besides using request parameters and "structured" request parameters as user input. XML is used for WebDAV and web service applications, XML are also becoming more common from more advanced user clients. And with new environments like mail, CLI, JMS and possibly more, we will get even more user input formats.
<<<

I don't think of request parameters as strongly typed, they are all
    strings, often they are html form encoded strings, but that's
    does not include type information.

Yes request parameters are strings. But they are not always meant to be strings. If the user enters something in a field requesting a date you want to receive a date in your server app and don't care how it's encoded on the wire.

Guido