Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Ugo Cei wrote:

Unico Hommes wrote:

I think that as a software product that is known for its innovative nature it is *very* important in the interest of Cocoon to refuse being impaired by the immobility of bureaucracratic organisations. We are having a small crisis on our hands ATM regarding our persistent store component and if I was reading Pier correctly he was willing to dedicate some time towards a solution to this problem.

One of the main attractions of the jdk 1.4 is its NIO package, and it's supposed to be a major improvement in Javas IO performance. With 1.4 being available for - what more than two years? - and 1.5 already on the horizon it is IMHO the right time to upgrade.

Since we don't have a NIO-based implementation of the persistent store, yet, why upgrade now? When we have it, I'll be more than willing to vote +1.

Ugo,

this is chicken-egg problem: nobody is going to implement something on 1.4-only API if they aren't sure the community is going to accept it.

We don't have to decide right now, but I think it would be good to give the signal "please go ahead and experiment if you think it makes sense, we'll judge depending on the advantages".

WDYT?

Agreed. But, please, somebody, [POLL] our userbase first.

Vadim