On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>   1) patch avalon
>   2) change framework
>   3) do our own
>
> Here my choice would not be technologically driven but rather socially
> driven: I would do our own.

I see some significant disadvantages for cocoon to develop its own
container framework.

* Diversion of resources to build and support the container.

* Loss of extensive experience of other container developers.
  Building a robust and high performance container is not trivial.

* Increasing burden on potential users in that they have to learn
  yet another container.  As several folks have pointed out, there
  are many containers.  Too many for anyone developer to ever really
  understand.

All of these point to the community aspect of the goals Stefano
stated.  My strong preference would be to build on top of an
existing container that is widely used.  This helps build a larger
community.  Clearly, if Avalon simply is insufficient, then an
alternative should be found.  Why not select another?

--
JP