Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Upayavira wrote:

To my mind, Mark makes some interesting points here. Could we get away from using a simple include/exclude, and have:

build stable      <-- only stable stuff
build unstable   <-- stable and unstable
build webapp   <-- only stable stuff

Or better:

configure stable      <-- only stable stuff
configure unstable   <-- stable and unstable
configure webapp   <-- only stable stuff

That way, it isn't much work to get the unstable stuff, but you've got to ask for it.

And you mean, build webapp is an alias for build stable, right.
I would prefer "build xyz".

The build webapp as an alias was the weakest bit of my suggestion - aimed at lending _some_ backwards compatibility.

If we do build webapp as an alias of build unstable, people could just carry on as they are, without noticing any change. Now, perhaps that is in fact a good thing. People who know of build webapp, and know its behaviour, get what they expect. Whereas new users, who read the docs, get to choose between stable and unstable. Then there's the question of which target to make default, if any.

Upayavira