Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out what the current kernel already
> provides and
> > what not.
> >
> > Let's forget all the xml (descriptors etc) for a moment. Imagine I
> > want to write a block, that provides - let's say a special file
> > generator - that can be used in other blocks (in my app block).
> >
> > Now, obviously this generator will implement our Cocoon
> Generator interface.
> > What else does the kernel already provide for the component
> lifecycle?
> > (Logging, Configuration etc.)
> >
> > Or is this a to discuss/do?
>
> I guess it's a to-do/to-discuss.
>
> The block design didn't deal with component lifecycle because
> that's another concern (and, originally, it was supposed to
> be taken care of by avalon).

Ok.

> I don't know Pier's ideas about this.
>
> I think it's a good time for cleaning up what avalon did
> wrong, simplify as much as we can and tune it for our needs.
>
> But I'm wide open to suggestions, as long as we move away from avalon.

:) Sounds good to me. Now what do you think of using the things from
Avalon that are good (for us)? Now, I think, some of the interfaces
(for logging, contextualization, initialization) are good and we could
directly use them instead of building just a clone of them.
The only interface which could be better is Serviceable/Composable
where the lookup is done using a plain String. There we should use
something like lookup(Interface, Hint).

WDYT?

Carsten