Leon Widdershoven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [...]
> existing
> databaserecords, and then  merged.  I use flow to get the
> user data.  I have tried to write the total application
> entirely in Javascript (with of
> course HSSF
> Java classes). It works, but is not really maintable.
> So I wrote a reusable flow component called a Java Package.
> The main class gets the uploaded spreadsheet and all flags,
> and returns errors or OK. It can be called from any
> flowscript program, the classes can be configured, it can be
> called by Java classes. How much more reusable can you get?
>
> And at the same time I think this is not what flowscript
> developers call reusable. What is the characteristic of a
> reusable flowscript component, defined in a way a user can
> understand? For cocoon components that's easy. Implement a
> particular interface and it is a particular kind of
> component. But flowscript is just much more free on the one
> side, and in other ways a bit more restricted.
>

> >> I think you could slowly move towards enforcing a FOM only
> access to
> >> Cocoon; maybe start with two levels of access: a default
> FOM only and
> >> a "RAD flag" (developer_mode='true') that be configured to say to
> >> Cocoon that a developer wants to allow script X to have access
> >> outside of the FOM model ?
> >>
> No, please no. It is hard enough to find  components/scripts that do
> what you
> want them to do - without reinventing the wheel. It really is
> not a good
> idea
> to artificially limit access to ready-made logic and thus
> forcing users
> to either
> hack the cocoon sources, or to reinvent the wheel.
>
> What you can say is that particular scripts should be
> considered private
> or protected
> to indicate that their contract may change at any time without notice
> and that it
> is thus very unwise to build a system based on that. (Yes, like Java).
>
> A protected script also makes sense if it manages a resource
> which must
> be called
> only when particular demands have been met, or which may have side
> effects on the
> fllowscript environment.
>
> But both such cases would be to protect the user, and not to
> force users to a certain development model favoured by the
> developer. The developer may well be right in his opinions,
> but users come from different backgrounds and would not
> understand they be limited because their way is not neat.
>
> I am sorry if this sounds to harsh, but it really *is* hard enough to
> find functions which
> do what you want them to do. If you then find out those functions are
> blocked for
> some unfathomable (ideologic) reason, you would not be glad.

Well, given the fact that I wrote the bit you're responding to and not
Guido I don't think he'll find it harsh ;-)

I don't see much difference between marking something "private" vs. "not
for normal access by end users"? In fact I think the "RAD flag" would be
a little more liberal than private vs. public since if you needed you
could always flag a script as using non-FOM objects, but if the object
is private you're going to need the source of the Java object to make
the change?

> If I read to much in the statement above I am sorry. But I
> strongly feel
> that flow
> is a more powerfull  technology than xsp for many
> applications, and that it should be kept simple for users.
> And simple is not a limited set of
> functions, but
> a feature rich environment which allows you to do what you
> want without
> to much
> Java (a bit like xsp is now),

Personally, I tend to agree.  However, if others feel the need to
restrict the contract more than currently I think there should be some
kind of escape hatch for developers...