which abstraction exactly? the Logger interface is more or less the same
when compared to logkit's Logger.

> What's wrong with commons logging?  Nothing if you have a standalone
> application.  However, it uses classpath discovery to determine if
> you have LogKit, Log4J, JDK 1.4 logging, and where the logging

it can use classpath discovery, but it can also be explicitly configured
IIRC.

> configuration file is.  There have been many complaints of inconsistant
> configuration of the log files because of the uncertainty of
> the servlet classpath.  If the implementers of your servlet engine
> inadvertently put a differing implementation than you want to use,
> there is a good chance you will be logging to your servlet container's
> targets instead of Cocoon's.  Also if you have several instances of
> Cocoon under one "webapp" in your ServletContainer you may get some
> mixed results.

those things haven't happened to me yet, so I can't comment.

> I don't have all the links right now, but suffice it to say that
> Commons Logging uses black magic to set everything up at startup.

as mentioned it can use 'black magic' but it doesn't depend on it.