Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

Ugo Cei dijo:

Il giorno 07/ago/04, alle 12:29, Antonio Gallardo ha scritto:

BTW, miss we the first friday? Can we reschedule it to the next friday?

I was online, and closed one bug (#30321), but keep in mind that, at
least in Europe, many people are on vacation in August and things are
not going to get any better next friday. I was able to contribute some
of my time, since I was on vacation but at home.

Thanks for the info. A question:

The main trunk is for the 2.2. This is the version with the new kernel
based on Excalibur Fortress?

Sorry, but I have a mess in my head about the new kernel.

Carsten will upgrade 2.2 (trunk) to Fortress. In parallel Pier and Ugo work on their proposals about a new fundament of Cocoon. We will move both work into the whiteboard. Some time in the future we have to agree on one of the three ways (Fortress, kernel or spring) but now its time to learn what each alternative can do for us.

A distinction should be made between the two levels of containers: 1/ a container for blocks (requiring hot deploy and wiring) 2/ a container for components within a block.

The new kernel is in category 1 as could be Geronimo's GBeans (based on JMX) Merlin or OSGi (used in Eclipse 3.0)

Fortress and Spring are in category 2. I just started an in-depth reading of Spring docs (starting with [1]) and must say I'm now almost sold to it. While reading, some random thoughts pop up giving me the feeling that writing an Avalon Framework compatibility layer should be feasible.

Sylvain

[1] http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=SpringFramework

Pier, what's the current status of the new kernel?

--
Reinhard