Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> > On 14 Oct 2004, at 16:18, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >

> >> My point remains: we've been burned too much before already in
> >> depending on frameworks we don't control.
> >>
> >> I still think it would be better to write our own entirely
> from scratch.
> >>
> >> Want to use ideas for Spring? sure, bring them on, but
> depending on
> >> it is asking for trouble.
> >>

> > 100% agreed! :-P
> >
> >     Pier
> >

> Agree too!

I agree that the core should be "free". Now of course we have then
the compatibility problem for core components like the source
resolver, store, xml stuff etc.

The more I think about it the more I like the way Next/Apple does
this for years: they never had any problems with renaming methods
or classes or changing signatures of that improved the framework.
To make things easier for developers they provided two things:
- a very good documentation that listed every change in the API
  and the new way of doing things
- an updater tool that simply took the old source code and
  updated it to the new API - and this tool worked very well.

So, what about doing it this way as well? Remove all dependencies,
make our own source resolver etc. and provide docs and a tool.
Writing such a tool isn't that difficult. We already wrote such
tools as Eclipse plugins using the Eclipse search/refactor API,
but I guess that could be used in an Ant task as well.

I think this is not the worst way of handling this issue. I guess
that we will use the same methods for those core components but
just different class/package names.

WDYT?

Carsten