Hmm that does work for me. I'm using Cocoon 2.1.6-dev (from August 8th,
if I'm correct) for that.

I thought it was a configuration error on my side when I wanted to use
two catalogues (like you, use the forms catalogue to stay up to date),
but it didn't work so I simply copied the contents to my own catalogue.

Another thing about my configuration: my I18n transformer is declared
almost in the root sitemap, so that my whole application is using that
configured transformer (so I have to define the catalogue locations only
once). I don't think it should make any difference anyway.