Geoff Howard wrote:

FYI, in the "competition is the sincerest form of flattery" dept:

People who are subscribed to the list through gmail may have noticed
that the following ad from orbeon is showing up in the "Sponsored
Links" area.  Presumably they have bought a google ad word for
"cocoon"?

www.orbeon.com - Considering Apache Cocoon? Check out the OXF XML Platform

At the ObjectWebCon last week, I met Erik Bruchez, one of the developers of Orbeon. A kind guy, with which I had interesting and very open discussions.

Orbeon started after they tried Cocoon and decided they didn't like some parts of it, mainly on the way it handles pipelines (but IIRC it was Cocoon 1.x). Their way of expressing pipelines (describing the component chains through URL linking) is interesting even if IMO less readable than the sitemap. What I don't like however, is the single XForm instance that is used as a kind of object model, and gathers in a single DOM all application data, be it controller data or business data.

Ah, and OPS ("Orbeon Presentation Server") which has been opensourced a while ago is in the process of becoming an ObjectWeb project. So that may make an aggressive competitor (from the marketing POV), even if Cocoon has waaaay more features, developers, references, etc than Orbeon. Orbeon has good docs, though ;-)

Sylvain