Conal Tuohy wrote:

What about a processing instruction? <?version $Id$?>

This has the advantage over a comment that it can be retrieved unambiguously with an XPath query: "processing-instruction('version')"

Question is: do we need that? IMO no, as I don't see valid use cases for analyzing the version string of an XML document or XSL stylesheet at runtime in Cocoon.

There has been discussions in the past about including static strings in java source holding the revision info (i.e. public static final String SCM_ID="$Id$") so that we can retrieve them with the "what" command, but that use case doesn't apply to XML files since, contrarily to Java classes, they are available in source form in a Cocoon distro.

Sylvain