Although I think that Sylvains idea is a better long term solution, it
seems complicated and will take some time until it's done.

I still think that using the hashCode of an object is a valid solution
for many use cases. The only problem currently is that I can't use the
hashCode directly, so in the binding I can't just write:

    <fb:identity>
      <fb:value id="id" path="hashCode"/>
    </fb:identity>

as the path would be resolved to a getHashCode() method in the bean that
obviously doesn't exist. In fact this is a general problem if your
method is not named properly. What about adding the possibility to call
a method?

    <fb:identity>
      <fb:value id="id" method="hashCode"/>
    </fb:identity>