Sylvain Wallez wrote:
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

virtual readers? hmmmm, never thought of that one. What does that buy you? I mean, it's not harmful to have it, but do you see any real use of that?

Consider an application using graphical buttons. You may want be able to either read images on the filesystem or generate them on the fly by combining an SVG prototype with some i18n dictionary :

<map:match pattern="buttons/*.jpg">
 <map:read type="button" src="{1}"/>
</map:match>

The reader will be (yes, I love this syntax :-) )
<map:virtual-reader>
 <map:generate src="buttons-prototype.svg"/>
 <map:transform src="insert-i18n-key-in-svg.xsl"/>
 <map:transform type="i18n"/>
 <map:serialize type="svg2jpg"/>
</map:virtual-reader>

Sure, but this is nothing different from

 <map:match pattern="buttons/*.jpg">
  <map:generate src="buttons-prototype.svg"/>
  <map:transform src="insert-i18n-key-in-svg.xsl"/>
  <map:transform type="i18n"/>
  <map:serialize type="svg2jpg"/>
 </map:match>

VPC were introduced for reuse, I don't see virtual readers reusable at all, it's just syntax sugar and not even that sweet sugar either.

--
Stefano.