Ugo Cei wrote:

Il giorno 13/apr/05, alle 16:47, Daniel Fagerstrom ha scritto:

I propose that we (in trunk) remove the current JXTG and replace it with the refactored JXTG that is part of the Template block. The refactored JXTG is supposed to be back compatible with the original JXTG and also add the ability to use JXTG in the same way in a non flow context. The only change will be that one has to include the Template block to get JXTG it will not be part of core anymore. We change the class name of the refactored JXTG to that of the old one.

I just have a small fear about this. If we switch to the refactored JXTG in 2.2, we will have three branches to work on:

- fixing bugs in the old JXTG in 2.1, even though no new features are added

Yes.

- fixing bugs in the refactored JXTG in 2.2 and maybe adding new features, since 2.2 is going to stay around for a long time.
- developing the new TemplateGenerator.

This is not exactly two braches. After the refactoring we have a configurable template framework (still some things left to do to get there, but we are close). So JXTG and CTemplate will share almost all code. They will differ in their configuration files and some of the instructions might be in two different versions, if we want it that way. As an example, the jx:import instruction and jx:set instruction have peculiarities that we propbably want to get rid of in CTemplate, but that we might want to keep in JXTG for back compability reasons.

As long as the refactored JXTG is backward compatible, what's stopping us from dropping the old one completely?

We should test the refactored JXTG in trunk for some while before droping the old one in 2.1. We also chosed not to have a copy of the Template block in 2.1 as it would complicate the development work to keep two branches in synch. But we can copy it to 2.1 when/if the community want it that way.

/Daniel