Le 4 oct. 05, à 00:00, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
...I don't have that many reasons, but I don't think this is a good idea:

One: Marketing wise, this will be a very bad sign, and would give to the outside world the impression that the Cocoon acceptance has shrunk so much than two lists are too much. And although traffic has dropped, we're far from that...

This is a realistic risk - but by not taking it we're IMHO showing signs of "doing things the old-fashioned way" with a strict segregation between users and developers.

...Two: Cocoon-dev is scary for newbies, or even intermediate users. Disruptive random thoughts, design discussions about the very deep guts of the engine, etc. Some of my colleague, which I consider advanced users sometimes tell me they don't understand what the heck I'm talking about in some of my posts. If we want more people to come to Cocoon, exposing them to the dev's foolish discussions will just make them turn away...

I tend agree with that - but people would IMHO quickly learn to filter out posts based on who's writing or on subject lines. I think most of us here do that, at least from time to time, about discussions that we don't have time to follow.

...Now you're right that some developers neglect [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think that's my main concern, so if we find another way to solve this it might already be an improvement.

An easy way for us dev@ subscribers would be to filter both lists to the same folder, to avoid applying the "don't have time for users@" principle. But this doesn't solve the problem mentioned below...

...Now the main point is that progression in the lists should go from bottom to top (i.e. users->dev) and that once you feel fluent in an upper level (no pejorative meaning intented with "upper") you should still be present in the lower levels to share your knowledge...

This is a problem currently, that many dev@ people are not to be seen on users@ anymore, and I think, it's even worse than that: we regularly ask questions on dev@ which in fact would belong on [EMAIL PROTECTED] We don't usually object and tell people to move the discussion there, so it's a net loss for users@ who miss the questions and answers.

Thanks for your comments, let's see what others think.

-Bertrand