Matthew Langham wrote:
No, the brand is not strong.

Look around among people that have *not* used Cocoon and ask them what it is. Most of them will tell you "it's a publishing engine", or even "it's a tool to perform XSL transformations".

What we have now and what we're building is much more than that, and IMO we won't be able to deliver this message with a name that has been associated for 6 years to "just" a publication engine, even if that "just" is already a lot.

Struts has Shale which is a complete rewrite that learns from the past and looks into the future. I really think we should to the same. We're talking a new start, aiming at building a simple, clean and consistent platform. That deserves more than in a major revision number of a name that denotes something else in most people's mind.

I strongly disagree with this. And while I agree to most of the points being
discussed, I can't help but feel that is is a step too far.

And I also think the current discussion is missing something significant
(when compared to the first Cocoon steps). While only being able to quickly
read through all the discussions - if the best way is really for a clean
start:

Where is the vision?

It's being built in this thread, and I started aggregating it on Daisy[1]. Still very embryonic, but I will spend time on it.

Now you're right: let's forget this naming issue, even if I really consider it as being important, and concentrate on what it we want to build.

Sylvain

[1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/test/g1/792.html