Geoff Howard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > The eventcache is needed for more advanced caching. The
> components need to know about it to be able to construct the
> right Validity objects for Source.getValidity(). We found out
> that eventcaching is really key for good performance of the
> website, so I would consider it a good kind of dependency. Of
> course, the eventcaching block depending (indirectly) on the
> database block is a bit silly.
>
> Yes, these dependencies were always somewhat painful - as we discussed
> before [1].  It's only the samples that cause the dependency on the
> database block IIRC.  There was some work being done on samples
> dependencies I think - or were samples being separated into samples
> blocks perhaps?  That would cure this.
>
> I see you've implemented some of this in webdav - did you manage to
> avoid a dependency on the database block somehow?

Yes, well, at least directly. The webdav block now depends only on repository
and eventcache, not on database. However, eventcache still depends on database.
I was thinking about the same thing, meaning to make a new block for the
eventcache samples. That has been done for other blocks and would take care it,
as you said.
However, I don't know if its worth it in the 2.1 branch. Compiling a few more
classes doesn't hurt too much for now. It would make more sense and be worth it
for 2.2 as it is supposed to be released semi-soon, right?

max