Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:32:13 +0100
>>> From: Bertrand Delacretaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: Deployment into a monolithic Cocoon web app

>>> Your instructions worked for me as well, but it took *ages*.
>>>
>>> IIUC it's because Maven was trying to download stuff, getting
>>> timeouts, retrying etc, lines like
>>>
>>> [INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:
>>> checking for updates from mortbay-repo
>>

>> This may be due to snapshot dependencies which Maven2 resolves
>> periodically (depends on configuration).
>>
>>> sometimes stay on screen for several minutes without anything
>>> apparently happening.
>>

>> It seems that it depends on day or person or connectivity or whatever.
>> I've build trunk so many times with almost always successfully
>> building in one go with none of the issues many have reported. I do
>> really have no clue whether it is the connectivity on the Apache side
>> or on the person side doing the build that causes those issues.
>>
>>> I'm (still) a Maven newbie so I might be doing something wrong, but
>>> it looks like your deployer works, congratulations!
>>

>> The instructions works here, too.
>
> Thanks for the verification.
>
> I think the general problem is that you need to have downloaded the
> artifacts once as Maven have to put them into the local artifacts
> repository. Indeed, this can take very long if Maven is used for the
> first them. But then, it should work fine in the future as further
> downloads are the exception and not the rule.

Yes, but here we're talking about downloading stuff needed to build
Cocoon aren't we? So we end up downloading _all_ dependencies. I've no
problem with that particularly. What I want to see is small, snappy
binary distributions. If we still have a large source download, that's
fine with me. And, IIUC, what we're doing is in line with that.

Regards, Upayavira