Ok, lets see what others think about it.

Now, we already discussed this topic a little bit in [1]:
Cocoon contains the auth-fw block which is a modular authentication
framework which can be integrated in your app. It is based on the
session-fw and for example it can be used out of the box in the portal.
Both, session-fw and auth-fw were developed six years ago with the
mindset that everything is XML - during the years, the way of developing
web apps with Cocoon has changed and therefore there are better
alternatives for these blocks, for example the template block and flow.

In addition I started a replacement for the auth-fw some time ago which
I called CoWarp and which is hosted at sf right now. I had several
reasons for starting this there and not here which are outlined in [1].

My main reason is the community aspect. I would like to have a community
first, before moving the code here. Now, in fact neither the session-fw
nor the auth-fw have a real community here, so perhaps this reason is a
little bit obsolete in *this case*.

As both, auth-fw and session-fw are really out dated and as cowarp is a
better implementation of the auth-fw, I propose to:
a) deprecate auth-fw and session-fw in 2.1.x
b) remove auth-fw and session-fw in 2.2
c) add cowarp as an own block to 2.2

I know that we should deprecate in 2.1.x, leave things in 2.2 and remove
them in 2.3 or 3.0; but in this case I think it's much better to remove
them right away in 2.2 as people should really not use it.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/