Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
I didn't realize it before this week, but if we don't allow this we
force our users to put all of their dependencies in Maven.

OTOH, if people can add their own jars in the plain old way, they
benefit from the M18n of Cocoon (assuming it works...) without having
to learn much about it. The suits would say "win-win" at this point.

-Bertrand
Not really. I'd put money down that user's will go crazy trying to figure out why the jar they put in the lib directory isn't being used - or why Cocoon doesn't run properly because it is being used. With a multi-project framework/product like Cocoon you need to insure that everything gets built with the same versions and that is what gets used at runtime. Unfortunately, Maven 2 doesn't really provide a good way to do that yet (Maven 1 does though). Remember, ideally the end user will build a single block with a pom.xml. It will depend on some Cocoon blocks (i.e. a pom.xml with transitive dependencies and a jar) and perhaps some other things. So when all these parts get put together they need to have been built with the same stuff or nothing is guaranteed to work correctly.

Ralph