Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
Regardless of download presence, at the very least there should be a 2.2 site set up and running.
  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/

IMNSHO we don't have http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/ anymore. Information about the core will be available at http://cocoon.apache.org/core-modules/core/2.2/ (see http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/core-modules/core/2.2/ to get an idea of the big picture)

Actually... About the big picture, I'm not sure I'm getting it. The current site structure is:

  /      - Cocoon Project (PMC) site
  /1.x   - Cocoon 1.x site
  /2.0   - ...
  /2.1

So from the POV of top level site, what is Cocoon 2.2 - where should it be in the list of "Projects". Is it "Cocoon NG" project?

Does it mean there is no "root" path for Cocoon 2.2 docs - they are all scattered around PMC site? (I'm assuming here that /core-modules is not the only path element used in 2.2 docs).

Where would (radically different, hypothetical) Cocoon 3.0 go if Cocoon 2.2 will take unversioned http://cocoon.apache.org/core-modules/ space? Keep in mind that copy of 2.2.Last docs will have to be accessible after 3.0 goes gold.

Starting with Cocoon 2.2 there is no such thing as one big assembly that we can call "Cocoon 2.2". Yes, we have a core, that is based on Spring, a clever convention-based configuration mechanism that allows adding functionallity and offers pipeline processing, a sitemap and a collection of components (generators, transformers, serializers, etc.).

Additionally we have things that can be used even without the above described Cocoon. This is the servlet-service framework and the spring-configurator.

And, we have numberous blocks. It's difficult to say if they are 2.2 specific or could even be used in other environments, e.g. some next-generation Cocoon. Today we can't foresee whether this Cocoon NG will be based on what we have today or be a complete rewrite in Java, Ruby, C# or whatever and we don't know if things that we have today, will work there.

                                     - o -

The question now is, how do we deal with this situation? After thinking more about it yesterday, I came to the conclusion that the safest thing is following Vadim's idea of using http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/ for our core and the blocks.

The downside that I can think of is that we may get following URLs

  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/forms/1.0/
  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/forms/1.1/
  http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/blocks/forms/2.0/

I can live with that.

                                     - o -

I propose that I change the site structure to

  http://cocoon.apache.org/
     contains the "PMC site" and information about the most recent version of
     Cocoon and all subprojects

  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/
     gives an overview of what Cocoon 2.2 is, that we have a core, many blocks
     and Maven 2 modules and that it is based on the two sub-projects
     configuration and servlet-service.

  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/
     contains information about all the things that we consider as core
     (pipeline processing, tree processor, most important sitemap/pipeline
      components)

  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/
     contains the sites of all blocks

  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/
     contains information about all Maven 2 plugins that we provide

  http://cocoon.apache.org/servlet-service/
     contains information about the servlet-service sub project. Detailed
     information about our current implementation can be found at
     http://cocoon.apache.org/servlet-service/servlet-service-impl/1.0/

  http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/
     contains information about the spring configurator and the general
     configurator API. Detailed information about the modules can be found
     at
     http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/configuration-api/1.0/
     http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/spring-configurator/1.0/

                                     - o -

Comments?

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc