I remember there have often been issues with either encoding or binary files. I have no idea if that's still the case and I'm ok with the change. I also looked into the revision log of the file [1] but could not find anything particular (only last 4 years available).

Joerg

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/tools/targets/webapp-build.xml?view=log