Joerg Heinicke wrote:
On 05.03.2008 23:06, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

We could argue about another default value than -1 though. Something like 1024^2.

What do others think? Shall we change the default value from "buffer everything" (which lead to the OutOfMemoryError [1]) to something more "secure" in the sense of avoiding a potential source of error? Besides mentioning it on the changes page we have to set it to a value that's unlikely to be hit with a normal web application to change user application's behavior only in extreme cases. That's why I suggested 1MB.

Hmm, not sure if we should change the default value. The idea of this default was to be sure that error handling works out of the box. If you have special cases like mentioned in the bug, it makes imho more sense to fine tune these special cases (for instance by not buffering).

The output buffer value is one of the settings which is "optimized" for development and it should be tweaked for production usage. I think also if you're using a reader in your pipeline it is more likely that you don't want to let the pipeline buffer your output.

Carsten

Joerg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2168

--